Sunday, February 04, 2007

5th Sunday in Ordinary Time (C)

Is 6:1-2a, 3-8
Ps 138:1-2, 2-3, 4-5, 7-8
1 Cor 15:1-11 or 15:3-8, 11
Lk 5:1-11

The satiric duo in the TV comedy routine called "Wayne’s World," had a signature line: "We’re not worthy!" That was their response to the presence of rock stars they were interviewing. The routine still brings laughs. Hello, I’m Franciscan Father Greg Friedman, with the "Sunday Soundbite" for the Fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time.

A more serious confession of unworthiness appears in our Scriptures today. First, Isaiah has a vision of God, seated on the heavenly throne. The scene is so overwhelming that Isaiah not only proclaims his unworthiness, but is afraid he’ll be struck dead! God has a job for him: Isaiah will speak on God’s behalf to the people.

In the Gospel, Peter professes his sinfulness after Jesus helps him and his colleagues bring in a miraculous catch of fish. Peter knows he’s in the presence of divine power. He knows he’s not worthy! But Jesus also has a job in mind: fishing for people. The implications might not have been clear to these apostles-to-be, but their response is immediate and bold. They leave everything to follow Jesus.

We probably wouldn’t put ourselves in the shoes (or sandals) of either Isaiah or Peter. But that doesn’t mean we’re not called by God! The fact of our Baptism means that we have a vocation, a call, that’s just as certain as our Biblical heroes today. If so, what do we need to leave behind as we respond to that call?


Scripture:

•Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? Who will go for us?” “Here I am,” I said; “send me!” (Isaiah 6:8)

•When I called, you answered me; you built up strength within me. (Psalm 138:3)

•But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me has not been ineffective. Indeed, I have toiled harder than all of them; not I, however, but the grace of God (that is) with me. (1 Corinthians 15:10)

•Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men.” When they brought their boats to the shore, they left everything and followed him. (Luke 5:10b,11)
Reflection:

•Do all of these Scripture readings exhibit God’s grace?

•How was Isaiah able to say, “send me”?

•What does “they left everything and followed him” mean to you?

•How is Paul able to say, “by the grace of God I am what I am”?

•How do you accept or access this grace?

Conversion is the change of our lives that comes about through the power of the Holy Spirit.…This is crucial: we must be converted—and we must continue to be converted. We must let the Holy Spirit change our lives! We must respond to Jesus Christ. And we must be open to the transforming power of the Holy Spirit who will continue to convert us as we follow Christ.…The gospel must overflow from each heart until the presence of God transforms all human existence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home