Sunday, February 26, 2006

Eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time (B)

Hos 2:16b, 17b, 21-22
Ps 103:1-2, 3-4, 8, 10, 12-13
2 Cor 3:1b-6
Mk 2:18-22

Have you ever asked someone for a letter of recommendation? According to St. Paul, that's what we Christians are supposed to be for others. Hello, I'm Franciscan Father Greg Friedman, with the "Sunday Soundbite" for the Eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time.

St. Paul tells the Corinthians in today's second reading that they—parishioners in his missionary parish at Corinth—are "human letters of recommendation" for all to see. The Corinthians have been "written by the Spirit" witnessing to what God has done for them.

Wow! If it's true for the Corinthians, isn't it true for the people in my parish and yours? Which leads me to ask: What are people "reading" when they see us Christians out in the world?

As our first reading and our Gospel today suggest, we've been embraced in love by God as husband and wife join in a loving marriage together, espoused—as the prophet Hosea declares—in right, and justice and love and fidelity.

The beautiful imagery of Hosea is at once easy for all of us to grasp. We know what's called for in a truly loving, self-giving relationship of husband and wife. We also know how difficult it is at times to make a truly loving response to another. But as usual, God has acted first, loving us and continuing to forgive us when we fall short.

That's what the Spirit has written in each of us. How will others read that letter?

Scripture:

•I will lead her into the desert and speak to her heart. (Hosea 2:16b)

•As far as the east is from the west, so far has he put our transgressions from us. (Psalm 103:12)

•You are our letter, written on our hearts, known and read by all, shown to be a letter of Christ ministered by us, written not in ink but by the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets that are hearts of flesh. (2 Cor 3:6)

•Rather, new wine is poured into fresh wineskins. (Mark 2:22)
Reflection:

•Do you see God in the everyday, family, friends and community? Where else?

•Can you be a “letter” from God to those seeking God?

•Can you, “Preach the gospel without using words”?

•Where (how) does God speak to you?

But above all the Gospels help me in my prayers. They are always showing me new ways of looking at things, and I am always finding hidden and mysterious meaning in them. I understand and I know that the kingdom of God is within us. Jesus has no need of books of Doctors of the Church to guide souls. He, the Doctor of Doctors, can teach without words. I have never heard him speak, but I know that he is within me. He guides and inspires me every moment of every day. Just when I need it, a new light shines on my problems. (St. Thérèse of Lisieux)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home