Why Fast?
Q: I recently began fasting once or twice a week. Although I see this as reparation for sin and note that Jesus himself fasted, I am not satisfied with that explanation.
A: Any form of self-denial has two possible outcomes. The practice can remind me that following Jesus involves hard decisions and sacrifices or the practice can foster the illusion that I can obligate God to do something good to repay me because of my penance.
Having fasted in moderation to remind myself that following Jesus is sometimes difficult, I may be more ready not to respond angrily to someone else’s thoughtlessness, for example. Fasting can help me live in the truth about God, myself and other people.
Christians fast at times because Jesus said that his followers would do so (Luke 5:35).
A: Any form of self-denial has two possible outcomes. The practice can remind me that following Jesus involves hard decisions and sacrifices or the practice can foster the illusion that I can obligate God to do something good to repay me because of my penance.
Having fasted in moderation to remind myself that following Jesus is sometimes difficult, I may be more ready not to respond angrily to someone else’s thoughtlessness, for example. Fasting can help me live in the truth about God, myself and other people.
Christians fast at times because Jesus said that his followers would do so (Luke 5:35).

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home