Thursday, December 23, 2010

Thursday of the Fourth Week of Advent

Reflection based on Luke 1: 57-66

Take Two

When I exited the city bus after high school one day, I saw the engine of my neighor's car engulfed in flames. I froze, utterly shocked by the fire. After I asked permission to call for help, her desperate stare set me in motion to the nearest phone.

A few weeks later while again returning from school, I heard the painful grind of the bus' wheels crushing metal as it turned the corner. A women glanced out and screamed as I recalled a boy on a bicycle whom the bus had just passed. All the passengers remained motionless, but I raced to the front, ordered the driver to open the door, forced entry into the nearest house, and phoned for help. Prepared by the hard lesson of the first event, I was ready for the second.

Something similar happened to Zechariah. His doubting the angel cost him his speech, but upon the birth of his son he puts down his word: the newborn's name is John. But why is this name from nowhere? Because it came from the angel Gabriel and it offers a fresh start.

Zechariah has also learned to break with his own precedent and not hesitate again. Like him, we can reflect and learn from our past mistakes with the confidence that our forgiving Lord will create opportunities for us to do better.


God, heavenly Father, help me to learn from my past mistakes. Continue to provide me with the ongoing lessons of life that I may gain practice in believing you more firmly and obeying you more promptly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home