Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Other Kinds of Worship O.K.?

Q: I am attracted to the Catholic faith because of the sacraments. My reluctance is that I enjoy worshiping the Lord in a more jubilant fashion than what I have seen in the Mass—not to mention that I do not understand much.

I enjoy praise songs. Is there anything wrong with other kinds of worship instead of the Mass?

A: Although there is nothing wrong with other kinds of worship besides Mass, the Eucharist is the greatest type of worship possible. At Vatican Council II, the bishops described it as “the source and summit of Christian life” (Dogmatic Constitution on the Church, #11).

In one sense, the Mass is a divine action in that it is God’s love that is active, God who is being praised, God’s word which we read in Scripture and Christ the priest who offers this sacrifice.

In another sense, the Mass is a human action in that human beings can communicate well or not so well, the singing can be inspirational or dull, etc.

The Church is never more Church than when it celebrates the Eucharist. Every celebration, however, cannot be equally intense, memorable or jubilant. Human beings have highs, lows and many so-so times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home